Monday, May 12, 2008

Iron Man, Forgetting Sarah Marshall and I Am Legend Reviews

Last Saturday night I finally got to see I Am Legend (on dvd). And, while I really enjoyed the slow burn pacing of the narrative, I thought the film itself was let down by their choice of making the zombies cgi. And not particularly good cgi at that. The film would've been raised to a whole other level if they'd just gone the '28 Days Later' route with the infected and just made them people with really good prosthetic make-up on them. Shame really.

Last night, after finishing a first pass of some new scenes for the 2nd draft of my screenplay, Feedin' the Freezer, I treated myself to a movie double; which is one of the few indulgent pleasures left a man in this modern world.

First up, my friend Sylvia and I watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall, a film that I remember one major critic described as, 'one of the top ten comedies ever'. Now, while I've got to say I laughed a hell of a lot during this film, I think maybe the aforementioned claim is gilding the lily just a bit. For my 2 cents, I'd say it was on a par with 40 Year Old Virgin, but not as good as Knocked Up. Which is pretty darn good company to be in. And no matter how you look at it, you've got to admit that Judd Apatow is by far the best guy working in comedy at the moment by a country mile.

The second film we went to see was Iron Man. A film I was really looking forward to as I'm a mad comic book fan (5000 of them in boxes). Plus of course I really like Robert Downey Jr.

Anyway, after the HUGE let down of Superman Returns (for shame DC!) and the mediocre Spiderman 3 (move on Sam, you're getting stale), I was keeping my fingers crossed that Iron Man would live up to all the hype. And...it did! I thoroughly enjoyed this film, and - while the cgi wasn't quite up to say, Transformers, level - it was done well enough to not take away from the rest of the film.

When we were leaving the cinema after the film, we (well, I) got chatting with this cool black guy from NY named 'Fatty' who is also a big comic book fan / film fan, and we ended up chatting for a good 30 minutes out in the street. He's at film school here in Sydney for a year, apparently. Anyway, it's so rare you meet someone you click with off the bat like that, and it was the ideal end to a fantastic Sunday night.

Of course the evening was soured just a tad when I came home to watch the end of the last match of the EPL season...and Man Utd ended up as Champions, piping my team (Chelsea) by 2 points. Still, we'll take them in the Champion's League final in 10 days!!!

Cheers!
Brian M Logan
ThatActionGuy.com
EMAIL ME HERE

Never miss out on a great article or blog post by joining the 'Blog Up-Date Notification List' by sending an email with the word SUBSCRIBE in the 'comments' field!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home